Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Broken Wrist and Broken Lives

It's official. We are a boy house. Our friends from South Carolina visited today for the first time in a couple years. Within five minutes, her little girl Emma came to inform me Caleb was screaming. A couple doctors and X-rays later, he had broken his wrist. His show and tell for co-op tomorrow is his cast and X-ray pictures. He's pretty stoked. Jamie is somewhat grieving the end of Caleb's one-game baseball season. 

It's April 1st. I heaved a small sigh of relief today. March was a month of grieving, a month of anger, a month of God's rich mercy and grace. I'm seeing Him in ways I never have before. I feel His pursuit, His longing for me...I'm beginning to grasp that He misses me when my ways and thoughts become consumed with this world. I'm made for so much more. It's comforting and terrifying to know that because I am His child, He will go to great lengths to restore me to Himself. I'm processing that in ways that are silencing me. It's been a gift to serve Ashleigh, grieve with Jamie, have hard conversations with friends in our church, and to stay on our knees in prayer. I want to circle a day on the calendar when I know this new normal will sink in. Sadly, I want to circle a day when I will be in control again. But in the deepest places of my heart, I know my ways are boring. If I had it my way, I would miss knowing my Father, longing for heaven, and aching for what I was truly created for. So it's good, in a hard way.

I finished writing the Passion Week Devotionals for our church. I'll be posting them starting Sunday. Feel free to use them with your family. They were completely done by God's grace, as I've sat before Him so little over the last month. But they took me to the cross in a precious way. I'll post pictures of the cast later. He's a pretty cool kid.

No comments: